My eldest started 3 yr old kinder earlier this year. And yes it’s all very excting and yes we’re having a fabulous time, but, put 15 children in one room together and the likelyhood of them picking up a bug increases by like 300%, ok maybe I made that statistic up, but those that have young children in childcare/pre-school will agree that they get sick often whilst their immunity develops.
So… What to do you ask? apart from ride it out, you boost their immunity thats what!
- Heat water in a saucepan on high until it comes to a full boil. Combine all dried herbs together in a bowl.
- When water boils, turn down heat wait until water is simmering, add dry herbs. Mix and simmer for 30 minutes or until water is reduced to 2 cups.
- Strain herbs using a mesh strainer. Press the herb mixture into the strainer using a wooden spoon to extract as much juice from the herbs as possible.
- Allow liquid to cool to room temperature. Measure honey and add it to your liquid. Mix well.
- Bottle, label, and store in the refrigerator.
For prevention, adults take 1 tbsp daily and children take 1-2 tsp. daily.
During illness, adults take 1-2 tsp every 2 hours while children take 1 tsp every 2 hours for the duration of illness.
I have personally found this syrup to last around 6 weeks refrigerated when 1/2 cup of honey is used, 3 months refrigerated with 1 cup, giving the syrup a 33% sugar content. If you want your syrup to last longer (closer to 6 months), use 2 cups of honey. Though when it comes to this particular syrup I’ve found that it rarely lasts past a month in our home, the kids LOVE it and ask for it daily! But this is good info to know if you wanna keep a batch in the fridge in case you need it during warmer months.